Monday, March 13, 2006

Outside In

I've been here just shy of two very different months. My first month was all about what I could see outside... and from the outside. My second month, by contrast, has taken me inside: inside the university, inside neighbors' homes, inside the worlds of those I now call friends. Progress of a kind, but if I'm not careful, it could be just... like...

Life in Washington DC, where months can pass without my going to a Smithsonian museum or the Kennedy Center. Maybe that was part of it: my Inside Washington and my Outside Washington had grown too distinct. So I've taken it as my personal challenge in Merida to cultivate both of my Meridas, Outside and Inside, in the months ahead.

Danzon (pronounced "dan-ZON") figures prominently in my Outside Merida. A descendant of late 19th century ballroom dance in Cuba, Danzon has it all: live music with a horn section, men in white fedoras, and everyday people who aren't looking to impress anyone. Danzon is a welcome contrast to the many cultural demonstration-performances sponsored in Merida, which while beautiful, are as much spectacle as spectacular.

In short, what I like about Danzon is that more people do it than watch it.

If you head to the Parque de Santiago on a Tuesday night, you'll see Danzon in full swing: hundreds of couples dancing a mix of cha-cha and salsa to Latin big-band tunes from the 1930's and 40's. There's not a lot of smiling or talking going on: no showing off, no period costumes, just couples, some elegant in their movements, others not.

In fact, on first glance they seem almost joyless, but time tells me there's something special going on here; I see many of the same couples on Sundays when the same band plays at the Parque Santa Lucia. Daylight lends a different mood to the affair, with folks greeting one another and talking between dances. Even so, dancing, the couples move like their Tuesday night selves, with the same, seemingly stoic commitment to enjoyment.

And me? When I go to Danzon, I dance some and gawk more, and this pays off: I find if you watch people long enough, they will eventually disprove what you think you first noticed about them.

After weeks of going to Danzon, I find myself at the Plaza Santa Lucia on a cloudy Sunday morning just before noon. The turnout is low, maybe because it's cold by Merida standards. Then I see this man, and he is exuding joy, letting it shine outward, from the inside. He sees me and waves.

Could it be that others are feeling the same joy? It's actually a beautiful day for dancing, the music is good and rhythmic and romantic, and yet the dancers' faces are unreadable. Are they keeping their joy to themselves, on the inside, where they can savor it? Or is joy just not a necessary part of the equation? I suspect I'm missing the point with my concerns about joy; perhaps there's something else.

I have no idea, of course. This is a place where people don't always smile for pictures, where dignity and composure might be more important than happiness, where happiness might be alive and well Inside Merida.

6 Comments:

At 3:26 AM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

I absolutely love this post, Karen! It is so beautifully written (I liked the contrast between spectacular and spectacle), so thoughtful and thought-provoking.

It reminds me of Greek dancing, both here and in Greece, which is also more done and watched, by everyone from the littlest to the oldest, and where one's facial expression does not always indicate how one is feeling about the dance, and where people have to have 'kefi' (a certain feeling of desire or enthusiasm--I have no idea how to translate it) in order to get out there and lead a line.

I think I remember reading an article by Octavio Paz in an ESL reading book called "Mexican Masks", about how Mexican men keep all their emotions hidden. Maybe the women do, too?

The post gave me a lot to mull over.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like your photos, your writing is often about contrasts too. I love the photo of the man who is dancing with joy. The dancing without joy is so very different from American dancing. I can't dance without smiling. It would be hard for me to join in the dancing in Merica without showing the joy that moving to music gives me. I look forward to visiting these places with you! By then, it will be an inside experience for you, and an outside experience for me.

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Billie Mercer said...

When I started reading this post it reminded me of watching dancing in a home and at a wedding in a Oaxacan village. The dancing was also without emotional expression. Much more ritualistic than American dancing.

Very nicely written.

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea, I was able to hear your song. Beautiful and brought you right into my home. I can't tell you how much I look forward to your blog entries and what a descriptive, thoughtful way you have with words. I know we all feel like we are sharing your wonderful Merida experience with you in a very special way. Your story about the dancing reminded me of my time in Cuba. Love you, Sue

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favorite of your posts so far. Perhaps there is joy in the not expressing enjoyment publicly. It becomes a private pleasure shared only with the person you're touching, who understands you so well that you don't need to express it for everyone else. Or, perhaps joy is not what the emotion is at all, rather the Danzon is a familiar comfy chair and the feeling is satifaction and contentment rather than elation. Either way, it certainly gave me pleasure to read about it this morning! I long for a community that has the ability to come together, even for an hour or two a week, and just be together. I'll have to work toward that calmer way of life.

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

I hear you, Becky. Seems that life in the US if "wired" differently, so that even if we have the intent of living a calmer life, events and environments conspire to make life more harried... but I have to believe that we can make better choices for ourselves, and that these choices can make a difference! (Though maybe there's a reason there are some 3000 US citizens living in the Yucatan...)

These dancers have me thinking about a particularly American (US) tendency to 'monitor' our joy-- that is, constantly check in with ourselves (am I having a good time?) and with others (are you having a good time? I'm really enjoying myself!) in the midst of whatever we're doing at the moment. Do you ever get the sense that we're liming ourselves with those questions, boxing ourselves in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home