Friday, February 24, 2006

Rothko in Merida

If you're a fan of Mark Rothko's paintings, this is your house, your site-specific sculpture whose layers of paint battle heat, moisture and the unrelenting creep of mildew that would cover all of Merida's structures if given the opportunity. In this case, the effect is utterly lovely, and I feel lucky to pass by this house almost every day.

One day last month, my Rothko house went up for sale.

Merida being a city that prefers inner courtyards to outer front yards, your average north American "Century 21" real estate agent would be at a loss to find a place to pound her for-sale sign into the ground; with the house I live in as the only exception for blocks around, there's not a patch of dirt to be found in Merida's historical district-- not until you enter someone's home, at which point the world opens up to lush gardens, fully grown palm trees, bouganvellia. Merida is a city of inside spaces.

But out here on the sidewalk, there's only cement. What's a realtor to do? Buy some paint, of course.

And so it was that I happened upon a man putting the final touches on a new, horrifying layer on my Rothko house: a bright yellow rectangle with black lettering: Se Vende, and telephone numbers. A loud bumblebee of a sign. I gasped.

I actually tried to go into the house at that moment, thinking I could somehow save it from the evil yellow paint that doesn't go with the pinks and blues and greens of my personal Rothko. I found myself shushed away from the house by another man who'd been supervising from across the street. He said... something. And the man with the yellow paint said... something back. In sudden reversal, Yellow Paint Man started painting over the black "For Sale" letters he had just finished. Maybe, I thought to myself, I had somehow convinced them to stop.

When I passed by the next morning, the yellow rectangle had been painted over yet again, this time in pink.

I used to hate pink. But in my personal 21st century Crayola box, this New Pink, this Pediatrician's Pink (before doctors' offices took to hiring interior decorators), this Pretty Pink... is a Plausible Pink. I'm sure I had nothing to do with this, in the end, but I like knowing that I'm not the only one who loves this house.

8 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally navigated over here. Good stuff. Makes my blog look crapola in comparison, but I think my fans will forgive me. Flor de Jamaica is hibiscus in English. I don't know about the spoon though!

I'll read more and say hey some, too. Glad you are well!

Eileen

blog link posted, but some stuff is friends only.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Thanks for the English word for Jamaica, Eileen-- I'm drinking some hibiscus tea (very sweetened!) right now, in your honor.

 
At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I'm so glad you emailed since I don't seem to get to your blog every day. Again, I don't see how you have time to work, keep up with your and other's blogs, explore, cook, meet many wonderful new people, etc.

I love the Rothko house and your story about the sign is hilarious. Maybe the pink square will look better when it has weathered a bit. Don't forget to show me the house when I am there in May.

When I told my travel agent friend I was going to Merida, she actually helped me with flight reservations, she said it is a delightful place but is overrun with cars and traffic noise so I got a kick out of your observations about same.

Hope your week in Mexico City is all you hope for. Sue

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Hi, Sue, and thanks for posting a comment! You'll definitely see the house when you come in May, though for all I know, it will be painted orange by then! ;)

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Karen,
I love this Rothko house. In my mind you saved it from a bumblebee desecration, you are the aesthetic heroine of this story. As always your photos delight…
It’s good to hear about your life.

Life in Hawaii is good these days. We have a lot of Flor de Jamaica here too.

Aloha,
Amanda

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I drove past the Rothko house today, it is wonderful looking. You can buy a "Jamaica" bush, it is a special type of hibiscus that they make the tea out of. The normal hibiscus are called Tulipan here.
Theresa

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Thanks, Theresa and Amanda for the education on Jamaica... I´m not well-versed in the plant world, so all of this is helpful! I think I have a non-drinkable hibiscus in my garden, now that you mention it... I wonder if US customs would allow me to return with a Jamaica bush!?

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure you had nothing to do with this color change? Perhaps they thought you were making an offer. There's no Se Vende sign up there. You may return to Merida as the proud owner of your very own Rothko! A fine kettle of pigs ears you've gotten yourself into. I love your observations and armchair travel.
Betsy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home