Tuesday, February 21, 2006


here is

the ear that

no longer can

hear






You can't miss it-- it's the... um... the EAR-SHAPED piece you see on the left side of the bowl. Click on the picture for a nice close-up.

Tonight's posting will be brief, consisting of a few tips (ha!) I left out of my previous frijol con puerco posting:
  • First of all, that's only about 1/5 of the whole ear. In recipe lingo, that would mean: Cut the ear into several smaller (but still recognizable) pieces. (Of course, the texture is a dead givaway, too.)

  • Gloria (my teacher) tossed into the stew a plain old table spoon, which remained there througout cooking and beyond. My Spanish is improving, but alas, I wasn't able to understand the role of the spoon. I fished it out today, but decided that this batch was so good, it's got to remain in the list of ingredients. Therefore: 1 spoon... of nothing.

  • While I started out drinking lots of horchata upon arrival in Merida, I've grown fond of jamaica, a drink made from boiled jamaica leaves (though they may be petals, for all I know). Anyway, we made our own batch on Saturday: Boil jamaica leaves for 10 minutes, strain, cool, and serve over ice.

On a related note

This evening, I enjoyed an amazing walk through Merida's cavernous, blocks-long, old-style central market, Lucas de Galvez.

Language teachers, I have found my i + 1: my goal is to apply the shopping skills I acquired at Santiago market to the much bigger and profoundly sense-ational Lucas de Galvez market.

Tonight I did what I've often told my ESL students to do: I went into the market and asked questions. What is this? Is it spicy? What do you use it for?, over and over. The answers were largely the same, but the phrases varied, and I've got to believe that this is good for my Spanish-- it certainly feels right. Plus, the folks I talked to were very kind and interested in helping me understand which spices go into which dishes.

More on Lucas de Galvez in another posting. What a place.

5 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, enough about frijol con puerco without posting the recipe! I'm salavating.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Hi, Mom. Okay, here's the recipe...

Wait. That *was* the recipe! I'll just show you next time we cook together. :)

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

I like the idea of going to the market and asking similar questions of different people! Kind of takes the ill out of drill.

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I dunno why, but the cooking and eating of ears just doesn't work for me. Obviously, as an omnivorous sort, I don't object to the consumption of meat generally...but ears...

Although, in Japan, I was intimidated into eating cooked fish eyeballs, that were recognizably eyish. Nasty beyond all conceptions of nastiness in flavor and texture, incidentally.

Love the blog...great integration of text and vivid pics.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Agh, Jerry... I was about to give the "ew" (as in eeeww! award to Sean, but I think you've trumped him with your eyeball texture nastiness.

But heck y'all can split the prize...

Dinner for two, featuring a compot of pigs' ears dressed in a demiglace of fish eyes. Mmmmm.

On me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home