Friday, February 10, 2006

" Tierra...Tierra..."

Mérida is a place where vendors still come to your doorstep. This woman walks door do door selling dulce de pepita-- toasted squash seeds suspended in brown sugar, essentially. Very yummy.

Don't go thinking that the camera has somehow made this woman look short-- she is, like many Yucatecans, very small. I'm something of a giant here, towering at 5'4". I can only imagine the spectacle that my friend Eric would create with all 6 feet and 4 inches of his whole self walking around Mérida.

Each vendor has his/her own unique way of alerting you to their presence. The knife sharpening man plays a tune on his pan flute as he walks around, sharpening facilities welded to the top of a bicycle frame in a way that allows him to use the pedal to work the whetstone. Lucky for me he stopped by, as my one knife did, in fact, need sharpening.

Then man who sells dirt stops by about once a week, singing "tierra... tierra...", and there it is: bags of gardening soil in his horse-drawn cart. "Look at my horse," he might say. "He's very tired. Don't you want to buy some dirt?" He tugs at my sympathies, but I don't budge.

Since then, I've gone out to my garden and considered... yes, I'll be listening for his one-word song and the percussion of hooves on ashfalt. It's a small price to pay for the way things used to be.

4 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos and stories are beautiful. I think Eric Vesper would definitely be a novelty. When I was in Playa Del Carmen, women dressed in beautifully embroidered clothing, with brightly colored head wraps, walked along the beach selling jewelry and embroidered purses. One of them allowed me to photograph her. I'll have to show the photo to you some time. The colors in Mexico seem so much brighter. Even the sky seems more blue. Why is that?

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there a panadero that sells bread door to door. Their bread is so good in Costa Rica, I'm sure that in the summer time when they sell helados or copos...mmmmm tasty. Have fun with the vendors I'm still looking at a way to get there in mid may.

Jonesy

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Ellen Fields said...

They sell helados (ice cream) door to door all year round here in Merida. And flan. And bread. And brooms. I've bought everything from tupperware to shrimp at our front door.

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

There's a wonderful piece on vendors and haggling that really illuminates what I've only touched on here. Go to Merida Insider for the full article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home