Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Lost in translation...

This west-facing cathedral, the oldest one on the continent, saves me from the outside-- it's my point of reference in this entirely flat city that teases one's sense of direction despite the ultra-logical grid system (even numbered streets are north-south, odd numbered streets are east-west). After three weeks of walking in circles, I have my bearings.

Anyway, I walk by this cathedral daily, as it's on the Plaza Mayor, where everything happens-- music, vendors, flag raising (and lowering) ceremonies, park benches, hippie hacky-sack players, evangelists, news stands.

I read the Diario de Yucatán every day, as part of my independent study Spanish program (which, being rigourous, also involves lots of coffee). The Catholic Church gets its own page in the Editorial section-- ah, Mexico! A couple of weeks ago, there was a piece by Pope Benedict XVI on the press-- I quote this partly because I admire the clear prose and partly because the message is one I actually agree with:

"Iluminar las conciencias de los individuos y ayudar a formar su pensamiento nunca es tarea neutral. La comunicación auténtica demanda valor y decisión radicales y... la determinación de quienes trabajan en los medios."

If you want a rough but decent translation, copy and paste this text into Google Translator; then note that the last word means "media" (not "means" as mistranslated by Google; even so, it's a neat tool).

6 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BUT! If you translate it from Spanish to English, then English to Japanese, then to German, French and back to English, the truth comes out:

"* gewissenhaftigkeit you particular, the fact that the fact that the thought is formed, is the helped decision tuende, is exposed work OF place of nonaverage state. * The sure communication works the fundamental value and the decision... which is even that which decides it required."

That Pope's a crafty guy.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

I LOVE Eric's retranslation!

This is a great start to your blog, Karen! I have started a blog myself but am having trouble uploading photos. When we chat maybe you can guide me! Yours looks great!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Okay, Eric, you've just made me SQUEAL with glee! What a translation! I've always wanted to do that telephone game via translation thing. Bravo!

Nina, I'll say right now that the picture uploading feature is not very flexible. Basically, I bend to accommodate what Blogger wants to do... but the first step is to make sure you're not trying to upload to large of a file-- resize your photo before you upload it. Of course, we can Skype about this whenever you want! :)

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

K-

Que gusto me da en ver que estas disfrutando de una nueva adventura en Mexico. Aqui en Tejas todo va igual - los muchachos crecen, mi querida esposa termino sus estudios y yo siguo trabajando y estudiando y pasando el tiempo con mis hijos.

Me desculpes que no te he escrito en muchos meses pero sabes que siempre estas conmigo en mi corazon. Podra ser que con este 'blog' podremos hablar mas.

Estoy en este momento un poquito celoso de ti, Karen. Espero que disfutes totalmente de la experencia de estar en Mexico.

!Buena suerte!

Hans

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen, I love this! What a great way to stay connected to home, while sharing your encounters with us. The house is beautiful, and I'm expecting a hammock hanging on those hooks when I arrive...(Late May? maybe?)

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like living in a Catholic country. Beautiful. Anyhoo Looks like merida is fun. I need to take a long weekend and head down there to visit.

Jonesy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home