Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Weaning myself (and you) from the notion that each entry begs a photo, I'll aim instead for a thousand words... okay, fewer.

My days are all about early and late. Had a 7 a.m. meeting at the university this morning and I've got another one at 6:30 tonight (though that's nothing new-- adult education is intrinsically tied to sunrise and sunset, it seems. Still, 7 a.m. is much earlier than I'm used to thinking, let alone speaking Spanish, um, during... (ah, syntax!). My friends who have lived in tropical countries say this is normal; meet before the heat beats you down. Not that it's so hot these days, but come April/May/June, 7 a.m. will seem entirely reasonable.

As it gets hotter, the insects are more noticeable. I saw my first scorpion today, right here in my house. The timing was superb; it made its appearance (very small, less than 1 inch long) in the dining room while I was enjoying a chat with my landlady-- just moments after she and the workman finished patching the hole in the bathroom.

That would be the hole in the ceiling... through which the ants were falling... onto the toilet... and onto whomever might be sitting on it at the moment. Well, I don't have a lot of visitors, so that someone would be, oh yeah, ME. Ants on my head, no thank you! And you can bet I'll start being more diligent about wearing my flip flops when I walk around the house...

I'll finish with an invitation: respond to this posting with a topic you'd like me to explore while I'm here in Mérida, lest I continue quoting the Pope.

7 Comments:

At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANTS?!?! That one would get you over any left over adversion to them after April and I mercilessly tortured you with the plastic version circa 1983!

Terrific blog Kay! I'm enthralled, to say the least.

:O)

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Greetings from "next door" in Takoma Park, where it is cold, hammock free, and NOT Merida by a long shot.

Okay, so I've got an issue I'm thinking about--don't know if it might apply for your colleagues at the university in Merida. I'm interested in using and/or developing computer-based video games for teaching. I don't want to do computer-based "page turners" or all-text games. I'm thinking of something really visual. I got inspired watching a video of a conference presentation about using the SIMMS to teach vocabulary. (An exercise; assign students to create a young man with black hair and brown eyes, wearing a green shirt and blue jeans.) Some colleagues and I are going to try to develop a flash game on MLA citation and plagiarism. Anyway, is there anything else you know of our recommend?

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evenin' Kat,

What kind of Native American ruins are found around there and who were the people that lived there before the Europeans arrived? I find myself fascinated with ancient cultures lately and I'd love to hear what you think of the stuff around you now.

Sra. de Martinez: Great idea of using the Sims to teach with. I'm thinking it might work well in my classroom as a listening/understanding excersize (sorry, I can never spell that word correctly and now I'm not sure if it's right or not). I'd love to see how different everyone's projects would turn out based on the same directions... I do something similar now where the students work in small groups and have to create a drawing based on my spoken directions (mostly preposition work in addition to plain ol' vocab). It's always a blast to see the differences in the final product!

As for the pics, Kat, here's something you might try. My camera has a jpeg setting that automatically creates a copy of every picture I take at a much, much lower resolution so it's quick and easy to upload. You may still have to resize the pic itself but at least the rez is where you need it to be.

I look forward to tomorrow's post....

Hans

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures you've shared so far are fabulous. I'd love to hear more about the contrast and creativity you are encountering. What types of music are you hearing? What has moved you most in your brief time there?

You are missed!

Shawn

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Karen,
Love your Blog but how do you have time to do anything else? What fun. Your house is darling and Mexico sounds like a great place to live, work and play. I am looking forward to my visit in May. I'll be sure to bring plenty of sun screen and a hat!
Ciao for now,
Sue

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

Dear Karen,
Your blog is great, and I loved talking with you today!
The issue I would like to hear about is culture shock (yours). Can you recognize it in yourself? Are you experiencing the honeymoon stage (if so, long may it last!)? Heading for the first dip? Thinking any evil thoughts about Mexico and Mexicans yet?
We had a very culturally savvy teacher at MEI, Jenny Samaan. She was half Egyptian, but hadn't visited Egypt for about 20 years. Then she and her sister went for the summer. She suffered intense culture shock but did not recognize it for what it was until long after she came home.
Chris claims never to have gone through culture shock at all.
That's what I would be interested in hearing about.
Talk to you soon!
Hugs,
Nina

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

Can't remember if we finished our conversation about springdoo. Here's the link: http://springdoo.com/
Have fun!
Nina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home