Monday, February 20, 2006

Culture shock, or...

is my frijol con puerco just thoroughly, absurdly delicious?

It's both, I'm sure of it.

A few postings back, I invited readers to suggest topics for future postings, and being the good blog participants that you are, you contributed all kinds of good ideas. It was Nina, though, who suggested I look at the elephant doing cartwheels to and fro: culture shock.

This bowl of frijol con puerco is not just good... it is medicinal. This stew is saving me. It's a strong word, save, but it's the right one. It is nourishing me, boosting my confidence, telling me I am part of something bigger. This stew is saving me from isolation.

The word I have trouble with is "shock," because I'm not feeling so much shocked as... periodically covered. Covered in a haze or a gauze, unable to fully trust my senses at times, unable to see others fully (with passing thoughts that contain that unfortunate nounless pronoun, They), under-able to communicate who I am (though that may have something to do with the dark sunglasses I've taken to wearing lately).

But this stew, this frijol con puerco, cuts through it all. Speaking from Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, this stew fortifies me from my physiological toes all the way up to my (self-)actualizing head.

Let's start with Physiological Needs

Those would be food, water, air, shelter, clothing and basic health and hygiene. Here, it's important to remember that I made my frijol con puerco here in my own dwelling, so I've clearly got the need for shelter and food taken care of. Though I'm still drinking water from 1.5 liter bottles, I will graduate to water-cooler style water, delivered, in the coming days. I've got a place to bathe that is now pretty much free of the various vermin that were living in it back when I first moved in. (More on that when I talk about safety.)

Some things remain difficult. Noise pollution is my greatest affliction; those of you who have Skyped with me have heard the roar of mufferless vehicles that barrell down my narrow little street. I mutter bad words to myelf about these drivers, these otherwise nice people who are tranformed into speeding, honking misanthropes when they find themselves behind a steering wheel. I haven't had to buy an alarm clock because the traffic reaches a critical frequency right around 6:30 a.m. There, a silver lining.

I have long found Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs relevant in one way or another to most topics, but it was only this morning that I thought of it as paradigm useful in understanding culture shock. This connection was motivated, I'll admit, by a not-entirely-logical dislike for the too-cute "stages of culture shock" paradigm. Not surprisingly, I'm not the first to have made this connection. I found this very smart piece on the Sociolinguistic aspects of culture shock and concluded once again that Dutch intellectuals are a special gift to this world. (Update: It seems I'm predisposed to give the Dutch more credit than they have earned in this case-- this article was actually written by Alla V. Yeliseyeva.)

My bowl is now empty, my stomach full, my sense of well-being humming. I'm keenly aware that my frijol con puerco is more than food-- it is a manifestation of well-being: being in a safe space, cooking with someone who weaves my name into her songs, knowing that I've made a good choice in asking her to teach me how to cook, and realizing I can do this for myself in the future. In upcoming posts, I'll explore the remaining layers of my culture shock and Maslow's Hierarchy, namely: Safety, Love/Belonging, Self-Esteem and, at the top, Actualization.

For now, though, I am sated.

8 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

Wow. I asked for it, and I got it. Loved this post! Bon appetit! (How's that in Spanish?)

On another note: what happened to the funny cats video? I loved that!

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing about your culture shock journey towards self-actualization. I also look forward to tasting the frijol con puerco. I'm certain it has to be infinitely better than American pork and beans. My grandmother used to make homemade pork and beans, but the pork was this big chunk of pork fat and a ham hock. Yuck! Maybe she needed a pig's ear to liven things up.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger You Know Me said...

It never occurred to me that a bowl of frijol con puerco could reveal so much. Like some folks used to say in the ‘60s “that’s heavy sister”. I’m betting, though, that you never doubted in yourself those things about yourself which the concoction revealed.

I love your writing. Thanks for doing what you do.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you ever skip a stage in Maslow's model? From your blog it seems you are already actualized and have all the ingredients in Merida for self-transcendance. The shades probably help.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Hi, Anonymous, and thanks for your comment. The shades *do* help. :) And yeah, I think the beauty of Maslow's hierarchy is that you can, at any given moment, transect all of the layers.

Take, for example, losing a job. If your job really defines you, you might lose with that job your sense of agency, your sense of actualization. You might lose your self-esteem for some time, as well (until you get a grip and realize there's more to life than that job!). Or you may have to move to a not-so-nice neighborhood, which would impact your level of safety.

But if you really counted on that job for housing and food, the loss of that job is a threat to your most basic physiological needs, which suddenly undercuts everything else (self-esteem, actualization, safety) and puts you at serious risk. I think of Washington DC here: is it that the mentally ill often become homeless, or is it that the homeless become mentally ill because they at one critical point found themselves homeless?

Gawd, I'm too serious! I know... But I had a great conversation with a friend the other day about the movie "Monster," (in which Charlize Theron portrayed serial killer Aileen Wournos). Wournos somehow managed to cobble together her physiological and her safety needs well into adulthood, but lacking Malow's middle layer, love/belonging, her actualized self grew horribly distorted and violent.

Well, that's a lovely story, isn't it? Maybe I should stick to watching the Funny Cats video (the link to which I have re-posted, Nina. :)

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Cynic The Infotainer said...

Hola ISOMATAN and Oprah of Mexico!

Glad to hear you're actually actualized and doing well.

If you're ever lookin' for some sweet laughter and bitter mental cud chewing, do an advance search for: Cynic the Infotainer. There are postings on blogspot as well as MySpace that you should be able to access (beware, the myspace stuff is not for the faint or literal of heart).

BTW Kelly P. and I are working on a script together - just like old times.

love ya

scott

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Dee said...

"I found this very smart piece on the Sociolinguistic aspects of culture shock and concluded once again that Dutch intellectuals are a special gift to this world."

Unfortunately, this piece was not written by a Dutch person, and therefore credit cannot be duly given to them.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Thanks, Dee, for catching me asleep at the wheel-- sure enough, the article is not a product of Dutch intellectualism (though I stand by my stated admiration of the same). I've made a correction in directly in the blog entry, but will give credit again here: the piece was written by Alla V. Yeliseyeva in 1997.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home