Friday, February 10, 2006


You can find something creative happening every night of the week here in el centro de Mérida.

  • Monday is traditional Yucatecan dance night.
  • Tuesday is 1940's Latin big band dance night-- which I just love, as it attracts older couples who have obviously been dancing since the 1940's.
  • Wednesday night is... hm... random night. I watched an 1950's French movie with Spanish subtitles at the local theater. But you can also easily find trova being played somewhere-- Yucatecan ballads.
  • Last night, Thursday, was serenada night at Plaza Santa Lucia. They put on a pretty elaborate show featuring a full band, poets, singers, dancers, the works. The man in the picture above is cleaning the statues at Plaza Santa Lucia in preparation for the evening event; I just love how he makes full use of his bicycle.
  • Friday, Saturday and Sunday are a whole blog entry in and of themselves. Lots going on, something like Adams Morgan Day (for you DC area readers), except every weekend.

But tomorrow is special-- the north American community is holding it's 10th annual Chili Cook-Off to raise money for the Merida English Library, an awesome resource for gringos and Yucatecans alike. I spent my Friday night making my chili non carne withe a friend who gave me access to her big kitchen, her good humor and a food processor. Cross your fingers, and we'll see which of the 15+ chili recipies brings in the most votes.

2 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for doing this! You are bringing sunshine to my dreary Pennsylvania world, where currently the wind is gusting at 25 mph and snow is falling, er, blowing. It will be several years before we can do any real traveling, so I feel lucky to be able to do it vicariously through you!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Oh, but it is *my* pleasure to bring you ideas of warmth and relaxation from the Land Down South. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home