Sunday, February 12, 2006

This one is for y'all who are currently buried up to your armpits in snow. Merida is actually suffering a bit of a cold spell these days, with night temps now in the 60's. (I'm not trying to rub it in, really-- folks here are bundled up, fighting off the chill that comes with low temperatures. I, of course, am thrilled.)

Forty-five minutes from Merida, Progreso is our closest beach. And since it's on the northern coast of the Yucatan Penninsula, Progreso boasts green water instead of the turquoise blue that's more the norm for Cancun and other resort cities east of here-- different currents and all that.

Progreso is a great place to sit on the beach, drink beer, and eat all the panuchos and salbutes you want. Yucatecans are very state-proud, and these signature dishes are offered a almost every turn. If you want to know more about Yucatecan cuisine, read this brief article featured in Yucatan Today.

That's all for this posting; just wanted my DC Area friends to know I'm thinking of them!

3 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, oh yeah btw you suck. We are here in the snow and you are out and about on the beach.

Jonesy

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you're having another AMAZING adventure and I love living vicariously through your blog!

And I would have awarded you the coveted BOWL had I been a judge.

:O)

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Well, y'all wouldn't believe it, but it *is* cold here this week... high temps in the 60's and we're all reaching for the fleece jackets that don't exist here. But come on down in May and you'll get PLENTY of heat!

And thanks, MShell, for the vote of chili confidence-- I'm just glad I had some leftovers... now I'm all set for the week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home