Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Extranjera...

If you know me at all, you know that I am an intensely social person. One might therefore expect me to have no problem making new friends in a new country, and one would be partly correct: I've met some wonderful people indeed. Few of them are Mexican, however, and this is something I am trying to understand. But then I've been here only a month, so there's still plenty of time, right?

I do have one Mexican friend, M, who is lovely. She and her husband recently took me to Uxmal for the evening light show. I had envisioned something bizarre along the lines of "ancient ruins meet 70's rock-opera laser show," but it was actually much more tasteful than that. While a narrator tells the story of Uxmal, a spectrum of colored lights highlights various buildings within the Uxmal compound-- and so it is that the most modern story telling techniques bring these ancient structures to life. I look forward to returning to Uxmal during the day, but I'm happy my first view was by moonlight, and with new friends.

I'm still getting used to the fact that I am una extranjera here; the translation doesn't do the word justice, because more than being a "foreigner," I am, by etymological extension, extraña (strange). But of course, we already knew that...

What else would explain the strange woman who walks just for exercise, who rides her bike to work, who sits in the park and reads? I don't see locals doing these things. People walk to and from, men ride bikes, and people in the park sit idly (and if alone, only if they are men) or talk with others. In fact, you just don't see women out alone very often. So here I am, a stranger in a land that is by turns baffling and normal.

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's something to be said for experiencing new things alone. I've always wanted to travel alone, and have had few opportunities to do so. Even those few opportunities where I have, my social nature did not allow me to be alone for long. Relish the alone time. You are social, and will meet many new and interesting people while you are there. It sounds like you already have. When I visit, you can take me to Uxmal so that I can share the experience of seeing it by moonlight. Right now, I get to live vicariously through you. Thank you.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

You would be an extranjera in Merida even if you were not flouting local customs concerning walking, biking, and park-sitting.... so you might as well be yourself! As for making more Mexican friends, I don't know. It sounds kind of like trying to make American friends here, for our students--most Americans seem to have a closed circle of friends already, and it's hard to break in. I thought it was different elsewhere, in places like Mexico.... but maybe not. Maybe your friend M. would have some ideas about how to proceed. Here, we would recommend volunteering or joining organizations.... would any of that work? And after all, maybe it's just too soon. On the other hand, time flies by and before you know it you'll be boarding the plane to come back.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

All true, Shawn, Nina and Erica. I asked Erica, who's a fellow fulbrighter doing research here in Merida, to weigh in on the extranjera issue... and you've given me some good tips, Erica-- salsa classes! Let's talk...

But yes, it's good to enjoy some alone time, and I'm still thinking about the various kinds of advice we so often give our ESL students in the US...

Nina, I'm particularly aware now of how useful UMCP's Service Learning program is for students. It's difficult to find out what organizations exist when you're new to the city and the language... awfully helpful when a central party collects this information. Hopefully, I'll find that here... or put a list together as I go along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home