Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Carnival is here,

which means people are out in droves buying costumes or costume parts. The Children's Parade is tomorrow, so these folks are down to the wire.

I love not knowing what to expect with Carnival in Merida, and yet I find myself playing the endless game of "it's like": it's like Halloween, with the costumes and the candy, only it lasts a week; it's like Mardi Gras, only I've never had the pleasure of going to Mardi Gras, so what do I know?; it's like New Mexico's Zozobra with its "burning of bad moods," except that they don't actually burn anything.

It's like... a visitor's least curious state of mind, to compare each new experience to those preceding it. So I slap myself on the wrist and turn back to the moment, and the moment rewards me. It's like... totally unique.

I made some new friends tonight, all West Coast expats living here in Merida, each one interesting. With perfect café seating on the Plaza, we drank beer and learned about one other while keeping an eye on the Burning of Bad Moods. And you know what? It worked! There's not a bad mood to be found anywhere.

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! More friends. You are well on your way to meeting your love and belonging needs. Before you know it, you will become self-actualized via your journey in Merida.

Do you think the pig's ears that we give to our dogs for treats would have the same flavoring benefits for frijoles con puerco? Yuck...just uttering that thought is disgusting. I had to ask though.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Always good to hear from you, Shawn. You're going to love Sean's comment about pigs' ears... buckets of them!... click here to view.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home