Monday, March 06, 2006

My little piece of Carnival

involved standing on a corner vying for a place to stand and a view to photograph. I wasn't the only one.

Though the desfile infantil is one of the smaller parades featured during Carnival week, it still drew a cast of hundreds to Merida's sidewalks: mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers, all here to see their tiny family representatives float down the street, resplendant in their satin, felt, and tule.

We waited together in the afternoon heat, anticipating sweet smiles and beauty pageant waves. And then it came-- a parade of the children, eyes wide and full of... JOY...LEss...ness. That's right, joylessness.

This should be of no surprise to any of us. I mean, come on-- whether we're talking about the Disneyland Parade that my school's marching band played in when I was thirteen, the Halloween parade that my friend's kids were in last October, or this desfile infantil in Merida two weeks ago, the reality is the same: marching in a parade is not nearly as fun as it's cracked up to be.

Sure, costumes are fun!-- until you have to stand in line, in the heat, waiting for your group's turn to walk down the street. For me at the age of thirteen, it involved a wool uniform with fake epaulets and a big, wooly hat that evoked images of the London Guard run amok in Southern California. For these five year olds, it was sticky combination of lamé, humidity, and mermaid pasties. Cute, yes. Sweaty and irritable, definitely.

But enough about me. The fact remains that parades are best carried out by adults-- preferably adults who have access to beer so that they can withstand the wait time and the heat, so they can trade in their daytime work masks for their nighttime Carnival costumes and take joy in the freedom of outrageous anonymity.

All said and done, the best view I got was after I'd left the parade route, when I came upon this post-parade mini harem waiting for their parents to pick them up. No longer under the public eye, they eyed each other, perhaps getting a glimpse of what it means to be grown up with make-up and sparkles.

I think I'm starting to understand. Sure, the kids probably had more fun anticipating the parade than being the parade, but they also got to be a part of something much larger, something they will need when they are older: a chance to escape.

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger You Know Me said...

Great photos. The mini harem is muy preciosa.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never knew you were such a fine photographer. It is more than the vibrant colors of Mexico. It is the composition of those colors that you seem to capture in every photograph. You should think about publishing your photos with your blog. Your writing is as sensual as your photos.

Tnanks for the ability to subscribe. I've loved visiting your blog, and now I won't miss an entry!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

I didn't know how much I had missed taking photos until I came to Merida... I used to be a total camera freak, even bought my BW film in bulk one time, rolled it myself... in fact, that was for my first trip ever to Mexico, back in 1987. I was a young 'un then, traveling with three girlfriends.

I sold my FM8 Canon to a man from Ohio who was passing through Namibia when I was living there. I've always regretted that sale, but came to terms with it last weekend in Michoacan when I realized that I wouldn't be using it now even if I still had it. Digital photography does everything I want these days-- low waste (no more bad prints), low risk (take a ton of photos, delete whatever), high portability.

I'm glad to know you're enjoying looking at my photos as much as I am taking them (and editing them-- that's way fun as well.) Thanks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home