Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I think I´m in love...

with mountain-laced, smog-covered, thriving, humming, creative, passionate, Mexico City. I´m staying with friends in Roma Norte for the first few days, close to the metro, close to the Centro Historico and the Zocalo, the biggest public square in the world next to Red Square, I´ve heard. Yeah, the air is visible, and yeah I can feel it in my lungs, and yeah, the traffic is intense... but so much makes this place worth it. There´s a city joy here that I haven´t seen in a long time, and a liberating anonymity that I didn´t realize I had missed since leaving DC.

Not that I´ve forgotten lovely, intimate Merida. In fact, it´s by leaving Merida that I get to enjoy 'coming home' next week.

I´m off to another day of an interdisciplinary conference on immigration, beautifully organized by a fellow Fulbrighter. My mind is swimming and spinning and...well, we´ll see.

More soon, and with photos.

3 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

Karen,
You sound happy and excited about your time in Mexico City. Hope your homecoming to Merida will be equally nice!
I am now officially a Webhead--graduation was Sunday!
Nina

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Completely unrelated, but I must thank you for the Swedish farm site (doowop horses). We traced the site back to the whole farm and have spent many evenings entertaining Sophia - and the rest of the family - with the games and activities there. I especially like the moose on a wire and dress-up horse, which is printable. Try those Elvis chops. And understanding the instructions in Swedish has been a linguistic challenge too! Full location is http://svt.se/hogafflahage/ , just click on Starta for the farm.

I can't wait to see your photos of Mexico City. I love your perspective.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Congrats to Nina on becoming a Webhead, and thanks, Becky, for sharing your Doo-Wop related findings (see the links under Random Fun Stuff in the sidebar if you're curious).

Mexico City continues to draw me in... drinking with friends til the wee hours of the morning surely adds that special something, but the city is fabulous in its own right. More soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home