Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Okay, folks, I'm back, and with no shortage of good excuses: My resolution to get blogging again was thwarted by a second bout of parasites followed by the dramatic death of my (still-in-the-shop) laptop, punctuated, finally, by a knockout virus that took me to fevered heights and landed me in the lowly pastures of pneumonia.

After a well-timed trip to New Mexico, my loving parents, and, godblessit, US healthcare, I'm well on the mend and now back in Merida. Summer vacation has one week to go, and my attempts to visit my office at the university have proved fruitless; it seems that Merida is determined to make sure I take my vacation time. (I find this only slightly annoying.)

Sadly, I lost all of my photos in the Might Laptop Crash, such that this blog is the only surviving photographic record of my first seven months in Merida. (The well-learned lesson here is, of course, Back Up Your Computer, folks.) I have you to thank for inspiring and encouraging me to share share share.

So, today I'm sharing this shot of my mannequin friend who is a permanent fixture on my walk home from work. Let's call him Toby. I like to imagine that he lost his left arm in an unfortunate incident involving a stolen guitar and a tad too much Crazy-Glue. Whatever the story, I figure Toby deserves a photo.

I guess we´re not so different, Toby and me... I've been taken down a bit by recent events, but I'm by no means out. And I'm happy to be back online, courtesy of university-imposed holidays and air-conditioned cyber cafes. Hasta pronto.

7 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kay Tay!

So happy to see you back in action. Sorry to hear about those nasty old bugs and the death of your laptop too. But just like you said, bless American docs and your Mom and Dad!

And I think Toby rocks.

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really glad to see you back. I was worried about you. Take care of yourself. And back up, back up, back up!!!!!
Billie

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too was concerned, and it seems rightly so! Glad to know you are back to health. Just think... since it didn't kill you, you must be stronger!

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Thanks for the kind words and the concern-- not sure I'm exactly *stronger*, but I'm almost back up to full speed. :) Now, if we can just get my laptop back from the "service center" vortex... More soon!

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, we learned the "back up" lesson the hard way this summer too. (sigh)

Glad to hear you are back and feeling better. Let's get together for a Scrabble dinner!

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably too much information, but keep in mind that you don't have to frequent remote areas with less than modern facilities to be exposed to those air-borne parasites. Remember that it's common procedure not to flush used toilet paper but deposit it in a basket next to the toilet instead. Think of that -- or try not to think of that -- the next time you're in a public restroom.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Nina Liakos said...

So great to have you back online!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home